Ragi porridge recipe – Ragi malt recipe – Salted Ragi porridge recipe – How to make raagi ambali – Ragi porridge recipe – How to make Ragi health drink – Raji Kanji – Nachni recipes
Ragi is a whole grain that is gluten-free and a staple in South India. It is rich in fiber that helps with weight loss and diabetes. Also, it is rich in protein and minerals so, this health drink is a great recipe for babies and also, it helps in reducing the body heat. This is a superfood if you are suffering from mouth ulcer, indigestion or constipation. Also, you can find a sweeter version of this ragi drink or ragi malt recipe.
The Ragi malt is also called as ragi ambli or ragi ambali is very popular across many regions of Karnataka state of India. Ragi malt or salty ragi porridge is prepared using finger millet flour, buttermilk, salt, onion and curry leaves. All these ingredients are optional and you can replace them with any other ingredients of your choice.
Ragi ambli or raagi buttermilk drink is a very easy, tasty and healthy recipe. SI lets start making this healthiest drink Salted Ragi porridge recipe.
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Ingredients: (measuring cup used = 240ml)
- 3 tbsp ragi or finger millet flour
- 2 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Salt as per your taste
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 4 – 5 curry leaves
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- 1-2 Green chilies, finely chopped (optional)
- A big pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
Instructions for making Ragi malt:
- Firstly, in a small cup take 3 tbsp of ragi flour.
- Then, by stirring, dissolve ragi millet flour in 1/2 cup water.
- Make sure there are no lumps left out.
- Further, in a pan keep remaining 1.5 cups of water for boiling.
- When the water starts boiling add in dissolved ragi flour.
- Keep stirring continuously on medium-low flame.
- After a few minutes(approx. 6-7 min) the mixture thickens and turns glossy.
- Switch off the stove and wait until completely cool.
- Further, add in salt.
- Also, add in a cup of buttermilk and mix well. You can skip the below steps and serve it with pickle and ghee if you wish.
- Again, add in asafoetida, cumin powder and give a quick mix.
- Furthermore, add in finely chopped onion.
- Also, add in finely chopped curry leaves, green chilies, coriander leaves and mix it well.
- Finally, serve it and enjoy.
- To make it spicy you can add either finely chopped green chili or crushed pepper. Both the ingredients are optional.
- Optionally you can add either finely chopped ginger or fenugreek powder(Menthe) or any other spice powder of your choice.