Puliyogare Recipe – Puliyodharai or Tamarind rice recipe – Puliyogare recipe in Karnataka style
Like Lemon rice, this is yet another extremely popular breakfast recipe in Karnataka. In south India in every auspicious function and festivals, the Puliyogare rice is served as Prasadam at temples.
In this Karnataka style Puliyogare recipe, I have not used ready made powder from the market, instead I have roasted fresh spices and powdered. This is an authentic Puliyogare or tamarind rice recipe, so please try this amazingly delicious Puliyogare Recipe and let me know your feedback in the comment section below.
To try my other breakfast recipes like pineapple Sheera, Instant Wheat Uttapam, Avarekalu Upma, tomato omelet, and many more. You can also try my other delicious rice recipes like Capsicum Rice, Corn Rice, mint rice, Curry Leaves Rice, Lemon rice, Tomato Pulao, tomato rice, and other rice recipes Please do try these recipes and let me know your views in the comment section below.
Ingredients for Puliyogare masala powder:
- 1-2 red chillis – adjust to your spice level
- 7-8 peppercorns
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds / til
- ¼ tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut fresh/desiccated
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds/rai/li>
- pinch of Hing / asafoetida
Ingredients for Puliyogare rice:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch of asafoetida/Hing
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp chana dal
- 1 dried red chili
- few curry leaves
- fistful of groundnuts
- 1 cup tamarind extract ( to prepare tamarind extract, soak lemon sized tamarind ball in 1 cup of hot water for 20-30 minutes, then squeeze up the juice).
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 bowl cooked and cooled rice
Direction for Puliyogare masala powder recipe:
- First of all, in a pan dry roast sesame seeds on low flame until they start to change color.
- Now add grated coconut, add continue to roast till they turn golden brown. keep aside.
- Add a tbsp of oil and roast dried red chillis till they turn crisp. keep aside.
- Furthermore to the same oil, add urad dal, chana dal, coriander seeds, jeera, and methi.
- Also add mustard seeds, peppercorns, and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Saute them till the spices turn aromatic. Roast on medium flame and do not burn the spices.
- Once all the spices are cooled, transfer the roasted spices to the blender and coarsely powder them.
- Finally, Puliyogare masala powder is ready. Prepare Puliyogare rice or store in an airtight container and refrigerate; use as required.
Direction for Puliyogare rice recipe:
- Firstly, in a large pan, add 2 tsp of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, dried red chili, and a few curry leaves. allow them to splutter.
- Furthermore, add groundnuts and saute for a minute.
- Now add tamarind extract
- To that, add jaggery, turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
- First of all, give a good mix and boil for about 10 minutes or till the oil separates from the sides.
- Now add prepared Puliyogare powder according to your taste. I have added 3 tsp for a bowl of cooked rice.
- Mix well with the tamarind paste.
- Finally, add cooked rice. Give a good mix, and allow to rest for a minute or 2 on low flame. this helps rice to get warm and absorb all the spices.
- finally, serve Puliyogare as it is or with raita.