Dal Vada Recipe – How to make mixed Dal Vada recipe – Chana Dal Vada – Lentil Fritters – Masala Vada
Today I am sharing south Indian style mixed dal vada using chana dal, moong dal, and urad dal. Instead of using all 3 dal’s you can also use the only chana dal and make this vada. Or you can add any other Dal of your choice. I have already shared Moong Dal Pakoda recipe which is made just using moong dal.
Making of this Chana dal vada is very simple and easy and takes very less time but except for the time required for soaking the dal. These lentil fritters can be made for evening tea time snack or during any festival or as an offer to the God during any Pooja. So let’s start making the delicious masala vada.
To try my other snack recipes like south Indian Alu Bonda, Corn Chaat, Spicy Stir-Fry Cauliflower, oats snacks, Garlic-Sesame Stir-Fried ASPARAGUS, moong dal Pakode, Mexican Salad, masala peanuts, and Maharashtrian batata vada. Try these tasty snacks recipes and enjoy it with a cup of masala tea. and let me know your views on the same.
Serves: 8-10 Vadas
Ingredients For Masala Vada:
- 1/2 cup Chana Dal/Bengal Gram
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal/Split Green gram(optional, use any other dal)
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup urad dal/Split Black gram(optional, use any other dal)
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped or grated
- 5-6 curry leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/Jeera
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds(optional)
- salt to taste
- oil for deep fry
- 2tbsp coriander and mint leaves(optional)
Preparation For Dal Vada Mixture:
- Firstly, wash and soak all lentils/dal for 2hrs
- After 2 hrs drain water from the dal and rinse them well.
- Transfer all the soaked lentil to the blender jar and blend to a coarse paste. If required sprinkle little water while blending.
- Further to the ground paste, add finely chopped curry leaves, ginger, green chilies, onion, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, coriander and mint leaves and salt to taste.
- Finally, mix all the ingredients well.
Preparation For Chana Dal Vada:
- Firstly, heat oil in a deep pan for frying.
- Grease your palms with oil, pick up the small portion of the mixture and shape them to small lemon size balls and flatten it a little by pressing it.
- Check if the oil is hot by dropping a small portion of the mixture. It must rise slowly without browning.
- firstly slide 2-3(depending on the size of the pan) vada’s in hot oil from the sides of the pan.
- After 1-2mins, flip the vada around to the other side. Fry till golden and crisp.
- Now transfer them to a plate on kitchen towel.
- Furthermore, repeat making Vada’s and frying until you finish the ground mix.
- Finally, serve the mixed dal vada with your favorite chutney.
- If you are making this vada’s for some pooja you can skip the onion and ginger.
- Coriander seeds, coriander leaves, mint leaves are all optional. If you want you can skip them but I prefer adding these ingredients as they enhance the tastes.